How Dental Implants Help Your Smile
Missing a tooth will ruin your smile. Not only that, but it can also affect the full functionality of your mouth making it difficult to eat and speak. When faced with missing teeth, what are the options available to you? Here at DeWitt Family Dentistry P.C. in DeWitt, IA our dentist regularly restore dental implants for improving smiles. Find out how implants can help your smile below.
The Dental Implant Process
The restorative process of dental implants relies on the use of biocompatible metal that will be fused to your jawbone. Once fully completed, it will restore the beauty of your smile and all other functions of your teeth. In general, the process will entail the following steps:
- Initial Consultation. You will undergo a thorough examination using X-ray imaging to establish whether your bones are healthy enough to support the implant.
- Implantation Process. This is where the dental implant will be installed by an oral surgeon. You will be either sedated or given local anesthesia to make the treatment as comfortable as possible for you.
- This is the time where the implant and the jawbone will fuse. During this healing process, your dentist would recommend sticking to soft foods and give you a temporary set of teeth as protection for the implant.
- Abutment Installation. The abutment will be placed to serve as a connector for the implant and the permanent fixture that will be affixed to it.
- Customized Teeth Replacement. From bite impressions and measurements taken by your dentist, a dental lab will fabricate your replacement teeth. This would eventually replace your missing teeth, which would look and function just like your normal teeth.
- Regular Checkups. These are necessary to maintain regular checkups after a successful dental implant procedure. This is where your teeth will be cleaned and checked to prevent future oral problems and make sure that the implant is working as it should.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Aside from successfully restoring your beautiful smile, the following are vital benefits that you will also enjoy when you have dental implants:
- Improved Chewing and Speaking. Since implants can mimic your real teeth, it can provide you with the same functionality for eating any food you like and the confidence to speak without having to worry that your replacement teeth would jump out of your mouth.
- Prevent Bone Deterioration. Dental implants will eventually fuse with your jawbone making them a permanent replacement. This means that they will function as your tooth roots, which, in turn, stimulates your jawbone and prevent it from deteriorating.
- More Confidence. Who wouldn’t be confident with a beautiful smile that you can flash any time you like? You will feel more confident facing people either in a casual or business setting because you know that your appearance is fully supported by your dental implants.
For More Details on Dental Implants, Talk to Us
Set an appointment with one of our dentists here at DeWitt Family Dentistry P.C. in DeWitt, IA by calling (563) 659-9500 now.