Posts for tag: Oral Care
The most attractive smiles are usually white and bright. Unfortunately, aging and stains caused by food, drinks, and tobacco can dull your teeth and make you feel reluctant to smile. Teeth whitening offered by your DeWitt, IA, dentists at DeWitt Family Dentistry provides an excellent solution if your smile is stained.
Things you can do to prevent stains
Preventing stains is the key to keeping your smile white. Tiny pigments in tobacco and dark foods and beverages seep into tooth enamel, making it look dull. Luckily, you can reduce stains by trying a few of these tips:
- Drink Clear Beverages: Choosing water or other clear beverages is always the best option if you're concerned about stains. Dark pigments in coffee, tea, red wine, cola, and sports drinks are common causes of stained smiles.
- Buy a Few Straws: When you drink through a straw, liquids are deposited farther back in your mouth and don't wash over the fronts of teeth. If you like coffee, tea, or cola too much to give up, using straws can offer a good compromise.
- Limit Dark Foods: Dark berries, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, ice pops, candy, soy sauce, and other dark foods stain tablecloths and teeth. Reduce stains by limiting your intake of these foods.
- Stay Away from Acidic Foods: Acids break down tooth enamel, making it easier for stains to form. Acidic foods and beverages include citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, soda, coffee, wine, and pickled products. Limit these products or eat them with other foods to reduce the impact on your teeth.
- Brush Your Teeth: Brushing your teeth after eating stain-causing foods and beverages may reduce stains. If you eat acidic foods, rinse your mouth with water, but wait 30 minutes to brush. Brushing too soon can spread acid over your teeth, increasing your tooth decay risk.
- Try Professional Teeth Whitening: Professional whitening removes stains quickly and effectively. Your whitening session at DeWitt Family Dentistry will only take about an hour but will leave your teeth three to eight shades whiter. Your dentist uses professional strength whiteners that bleach away stains and keep your smile brighter for up to several years.
Is your smile dull and stained? Teeth whitening can help you look your best. Although the office of DeWitt Family Dentistry in DeWitt, IA, is currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, teeth whitening and other services and treatments will resume as soon as possible. You can reach the dentists at (563) 659-9500.